Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gyokuro from Kyoto, Fukuoka and Shizuoka 2


Today’s blog is a continuation from yesterday’s post. The gyokuro from three different regions I tried at the World O-CHA (Tea) Festival were all good, actually very good. I wonder which will be my best. So I wanted to try them at a same time brewed in same conditions.

The three teas are:
Uji (Kyoto) gyokuro 5000yen/100g,
Yame (Fukuoka) gyokuro 5000yen/100g
Asahina (Shizuoka) gyokuro 2500yen/100g


Brewing condition
Leaves: 4g
Water: 20ml 42degC
Brewing time: 2minutes


These are the brewed tea: from the left Uji (Kyoto), Yame (Fukuoka) and Asahina (Shizuoka). I though the Uji had the best color, which is little whitish green. Others are slightly brownish. I also felt that the Uji had the nicest aroma.


I only brewed one serving for each, and shared them with my wife, Hiro. Because I wanted to enjoy second and third brewed teas, and didn’t want to have too much gyokuro to get my stomach upset. But you know what? I was so stupid (^_^;) One serving was too little to share. They were too little to taste and tell differences. Hahaha…

However, we both loved Uji (Kyoto) gyokuro best. The taste was clear and fine. It had nice umami and sweetness, and I didn’t find bitterness. I found little bitterness in the other two gyokuro. Asahina is very reasonable than the others but I didn’t feel the much price difference in the taste. I think Asahina provides great cost performance ヽ(^。^)ノ

This was not to find out the best production region of gyokuro. I was just compeering three gyokuro I bought.

3 comments:

  1. Great posts, both this one and the previous on Gyokuro! :-)
    From this year's production, I had an opportunity to try one Gyokuro from Yame, two from Shizuoka and two from Uji. From Uji, I had both very high grade as well as basic grade and I think they were both great, I enjoyed them most of all Gyokuro teas I had. And the basic grade really exceeded my expectations for the price, I'm going to write about it on my blog soon ;-)
    Take care and keep up your blog, it's very enjoyable and your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michal-san,

    I've just visited your blog (^-^)
    You have been trying many different teas.
    Thant's wonderful!
    I’m glad to know someone who are very into Japanese tea.

    ReplyDelete