Monday, October 18, 2010

Tea kneading workshop 1

Japanese tea used to be manually made by steaming, kneading, and drying. But the most teas are produced by machines today. I attended a tea kneading workshop, which I experienced the traditional tea making. I was very excited about it.

I had read about tea making by hand, and seen some pictures. But I was not quite sure about the exact processes.



It was a wonderful experience. I kneaded the leaves on a tea-drier-table for six hours as I felt the soft touch of leaves, the warmth of the drier table, and the smell of green tea. I was so excited in watching the change of the soft leaves becoming thinner like a needle-shaped tea.

I can naturally understand how tea is made, without a doubt, for I have experienced it myself. If you were to ask me to do it again, I could not do it (^_^;)

Tea drier table ; you place a gas stove in the table and the top panel of the table gets warm.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I'm a huge Temomicha FAN !!! A true Japanese tea as I love to taste... Amazingly pure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,fortunato-san,

    You do drink Temomicha? They are really good, aren’t they?

    Tomorrow, I will introduce the steps of kneading with videos (^-^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kohei-San,

    Yes, I drink Temomicha, this is ma favorite japanese green tea !

    ReplyDelete